DFU (Device Firmware Update) for Apple TV 2 allows you to tweak and install firmware and is necessary for some of the hacks available to the Apple TV 2. Getting into DFU mode on the Apple TV 2 is slightly different than iPhone, iPad or iPod. It requires the Apple TV 2 remote control and a connection to your computer. Here is how to enter DFU mode on the Apple TV 2.
Enter Apple TV 2 DFU Mode
- Launch iTunes in your computer
- Connect the Apple TV 2 to your computer
- On Apple TV remote, hold down both the Menu and Down buttons for about 6 seconds until the device reboots
- After reboot, release both of the buttons
- Immediately press and hold the Menu and Play button together
- Continue holding until you see a message in iTunes saying an Apple TV in recovery mode has been detected
Now Apple TV device is in DFU mode, where you can restore and update its firmware.
Exit Apple TV 2 DFU Mode
Restart the device to exit the DFU mode.
Stuck in DFU Mode
If the Apple TV device is stuck in DFU mode, restore it like the following:
- Remove all cables from Apple TV. (if you don’t you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
- Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
- Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3).
- Open iTunes.
- Select your Apple TV in the Source list, and then click Restore.
- Difference between DFU and Recovery Mode DFU mode is 'Device Firmware Update' that bypasses the current iOS installation and […]
- How to Enter DFU Mode [iPhone,iPad,iPod] DFU mode on iPad, iPhone or iPod is 'Device Firmware Upgrade' or 'Device Firmware […]
- How to Exit DFU Mode [iPhone,iPad,iPod] An iPhone, iPod or iPad is entered in DFU Mode (Device Firmware Update Mode) to upgrade […]
- How to Exit Recovery Mode [iPhone,iPad,iPod] We enter Recovery Mode for iPhone, iPad or iPod to do a standard iOS (firmware) restore […]
- How to Enter Recovery Mode [iPhone,iPad,iPod] Recovery Mode for Apple device allows you to do a standard iOS upgrade or restore on […]
- Taking Full Data Backup from Apple Device [Guide] iOS update process replaces the current iOS from your Apple device. After the update […]
- iPhone Shows Apple Logo and Keeps Shutting Off A guest asked that his iPhone powered off and did not turned on again properly. He […]
- Manage Multiple iOS Devices with Different Apple IDs on a Single Computer Do you have to connect different Apple devices (iPad, iPad Mini, iPod, iPhone) to the […]
- iTunes Stuck on “Preparing iPad/iPhone/iPod for Restore” State As soon as Apple releases update to iOS for iPhone, iPad and iPod, Apple users update […]
- iOS Unable to Restore from Backup – Fix iTunes backup or iCloud backup allows Apple users to restore backup when they need it. […]